|Mission and Heritage Week this year calls us to reflect on the concept of leadership.
Some say great leaders are born, not made. And while there are some born leaders, we have to step up to the plate and figure it out because each of us is called to lead. Whether we are a CEO, board member, manager, waitstaff, housekeeper… we lead.
Effective leadership is more than simply giving assignments and direction. It requires collaboration and practice.There is no one-size-fits-all leader.Think about your responsibilities in your organization. How do you lead? Who do you lead? In all areas of responsibility, yours included, skills needed include good communication, team-building, planning.
Find someone this week and tell him/her which of these quotes below speak to you:
· A leader serves the mission and leads by serving those on the same mission.
· A person earns the place of leader through authentic relationships and sound character.
· A leader knows the way, goes the way, shows the way.
· Leadership is an action not a position.
· Leadership is practiced not so much in words, but in attitudes and action.
· True leadership is about service.Put the interest of others at the center of your decisions.
It seems to me that all five of our values are embedded in the above. We are, as parents, spouses, sisters, employees, colleagues, leaders. Not lording power over others, but empowering others to do what it is that they do best. Our ministries should be buzzing with leaders here, there and everywhere. Join the ranks, won’t you? AND LEAD THE WAY!